Thursday, March 22

Green Grass

I've been thinking a lot about the phrase, "The grass is always greener on the other side."  Wow.  I feel like I've really been able to understand that idea a lot deeper lately.  I have come to see how easy it is to rob ourselves of true happiness.


We look for it all over.  We become convinced that it's just ahead.  We watch TV and see that it's found in money or a perfect body or something else that's just out of our grasp.  We get on blogs and start feeling like maybe we got the short end of the stick.

We plan vacations, dreaming of a perfect week where everything will be flawless.  We decide that when we get that new car or get that promotion or get that opportunity or get a raise or get through this week that joy will pour down from the heavens.

Well, I'm sorry to say it but I have come to believe that 99% of things in life are overrated.  While that sounds pessimistic, it's not.  Stay with me here.  While I've never been drunk in my life I'm pretty darn sure it's overrated.  I bet if you could really talk with someone famous, that they would tell you it's overrated.  Is it possible that our fantasies are actually keeping us from happiness?

I think the biggest secret of all is simply that happiness is already in our hands.  Do you know what's completely underrated?  NOW.  This moment.  This very moment.  Every little moment.  Because when I stop to really think and breathe, I can get emotional about how amazing it all is.

You know what?  The grass is pretty green right here.  It's beautiful.  And if I keep wishing I just might miss it.  I might miss those moments when Brayden's around and runs up to us for a hug.  I might miss the fact that my husband and I got to watch a movie last night on the couch and that the roof doesn't leak when it rains.  I might forget how lucky we are to be healthy.  I might even miss the point of this life.  The point of my life.

It's quite an enormous gift.  All of it.  The good and the bad.  The rain and the sun.

And I'm going to try a little harder to thank Him for all of it.

No comments: