If you're in the mood for a little sweet bread .. and perpahs you have some oranges on the counter and blueberries in the garden that needed to be used.. here's an obvious answer as to what to do next.... orange blueberry bread is a match made in heaven.
This bread is amazingly moist and just the right amount of sweet and just the right amount of orange.
The orange bread stands perfectly well on it’s own but the addition of the blueberries gives it even more flavor and fun! Here's a great hint I never knew: Always give the blueberries a dusting of flour before putting them into the batter so they don’t all sink to the bottom.
Before removing the bread from the pan, while it is still warm you spoon a glaze of sugar and orange juice over the top for even more orange goodness.
Slice and enjoy!
Orange Blueberry Bread
- 1/2 C butter
- 1 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- rind of 1 orange
- juice of 1 orange plus extra water if needed to make 1/2 C
- 2 C flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C blueberries
- juice of one orange
- 1/4 C sugar
- Mix together butter, sugar and eggs.
- Stir in rind and juice.
- Add in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix until combined and moistened.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean
- Combine juice and sugar in a small pan. Heat to dissolve sugar.
- Pour glaze over top of hot loaf.
- Let stand for 10-15 minutes before removing from pan.
The Orange juice glaze is amazing!