Sunday, October 16

Baking Pies.... Historical Event!

Carol can whip out apple pies in an instant....
so here's the Master Chef giving me my first lesson....


So my first assignment was to peel... and peel... and peel some more.
That was the end of my first lesson.


The next day I really got my "hands-on" class....
I think it took me longer to make the pie
than it took to bake the pie!

Remember this was my first ever.... ever I said..
told ya I was a city girl....

First... making the pie crust....
mixing mixing mixing



while the crust is "chilling" I'm peeling...
hey.. didn't I do this yesterday?... more peeling....
but did ya notice, now I'm tryin' to get all fancy
and see if I can do it in one "peel"... nearly made it!


my favorite part... adding the cinnamon and nutmeg to the apple slices...
smells soooo good...


now roll out my pie crust...


and spread in the apples...

... I forgot to take a picture of the pie going into the oven...
but I got a picture of the pie coming out of the oven.... it worked!!


Pictures taken to document this historical event...
or should I say hysterical event...


Now isn't that a beauty!
And tasted pretty good too if I do say so myself!


I don't think I'm giving away any family secrets...
but the most surprising thing I learned was to make your
crust golden brown, just drizzle a little milk on it before it
goes into the oven.... MILK??.. who woulda' thought!

Now talk about Historical events... Carol took us to the town church built in 1804, actually used as a meeting hall too now... Francis often attends on Sunday mornings ... he's the official bell ringer.. doesn't surprise me! I told you he is 96 years old didn't I?..... amazing!



There's lots of history in this little church... back in the 1800s the local artisans "painted" some faux wood designs as on the walls and pews.... it's pretty amazing!

This is not real wood.. it's a PAINTING!!!!!


Carol had made a very special quilt and donated it to the church....
where they've displayed it front and center!


Isn't it beautiful..... the picture doesn't do it justice either...




And of course all churches (and many homes) have their own graveyard where so many family members find their final resting place.... Carol's mother is buried here ....



So that's my story on a Hysterical Event
and an Historical Event....
and I'm stickin' to it.


No comments: